Information Greystones Ireland
Just a few miles south of Bray, the town of Greystones is County Wicklowís second most northern coastal town. The Irish for Greystones is Na Clocha Liatha, and has the same meaning as its English language name. On Irelandís east coast, it is eight km south of Bray and nearly thirty km south of Dublin. It is within the Greater Dublin Area and has a population around the 15,000 mark. The townís name comes from a one kilometre long stretch of coastal rocks situated between two beaches. The harbour area and the railway station are at the northern and southern ends respectively, with the station at a slightly raised elevation above the harbour. The North Beach starts at the harbour is a stony beach overlooked by Bray Head, while the South Beach is a sandy beach regarded of high quality and more than fit for bathing by the EU. Greystones saw its first major expansion in the 1850s with the arrival of railways. The late nineteenth century saw the development of the harbour. Its dock, pier, sea wall and boat-slip are all extant, but today are in poor condition. The motorcar grew in popularity in the mid twentieth century, leading to further development of Greystones. Irelandís recent economic growth has led to more expansion, although the more recent turmoil in the world economy may result in this development being less successful. Greystones is significant as the southernmost destination on the DART route. Although the Dublin commuter (DART) train serves Greystones station, you can get other trains from certain Dublin stations if you want to continue a southward journey down Irelandís coastline. The harbour of Greystones is below the main area of the town itself. The townís main street is served by restaurants and a shopping mall, as well as other facilities such as a playground near the beach.
Attractions Greystones Ireland
Avoca Hand Weavers - Avoca
Located in Avoca Village, Avoca Hand Weavers is the oldest working mill in Ireland today and dates from 1723. Visitors are welcome to watch the whole weaving process and to examine the yarns. The adjacent mill shop houses the complete Avoca range of clothing and a wide variety of the fine Irish crafts.
Avondale House and Forest Park - Avondale
Built in 1779 by Samuel Hayes, based on a design by James Wyatt, Avondale House is set in the spectacular surroundings of Avondale Forest Park at Rathdrum. Now a museum to the memory of one of the greatest political leaders of modern Irish history, Charles Stewart Parnell, who was born in Avondale on 27th June, 1846. Parnell spent much of his time at Avondale until his death on 6 October 1891. The House has been refurbished to the decor of 1850 and a specially commissioned video has been produced to introduce visitors to Parnell and Avondale.
Dwyer McAllister Cottage - Derrynamuck
The cottage nestles in the shade of Kaedeen mountain at the top of a grassy lane off the Donard to Rathdangan road in Co. Wicklow. It is a fine example of a traditional thatched cottage built with local stone and whitewashed inside and out. It was from this cottage, in the Winter of 1799, that the famed rebel, Michael Dwyer, fought the encircling British groups and finally made good his escape over the snow covered mountains. The cottage was later destroyed by fire and lay in ruins for almost 150 years. It was restored to its original form as a monument in the late 1940's and again extensively repaired and re-roofed in 1992.
Glendalough Visitor Centre - Bray
Glendalough Visitor Centre, close to Bray, stands at the entrance to Glendalough Valley, just beside the main part of the monastic settlement. The monastery was founded in the sixth century by Saint Kevin and survived up until the sixteenth century. The buildings which survive date from between the eighth and the twelfth centuries and include a well preserved round tower, a number of fine stone churches and various crosses.
Glenroe Farm - Kilcoole
Located at Kilcoole, as both a real and fictional rural community Glenroe Open Farm appeals to young and old alike. In addition to being one of the principal filming locations of popular TV series 'Glenroe', the Farm offers close and easy access to a terrific selection of farm animals and pets.